Date:
Fri, 23 Jun 2000 11:38:44 +0100

>Heather,
>
>This advice of 'going to the toilet' (every Three hours during the day!!!)
>and washing hands before feeds is common practice in The Netherlands!
>Parents are taught this in hospital and and at home in the early days after
>delivery.

>The 'reason' behind it is that the released oxytocin during the feed makes
>the uterus contract. With the bladder positioned in front of the uterus a
>full bladder prevents the uteri bloodvessels from contracting and increases
>the risk of haemorrhaging.
>
>The handwashing ofcourse has everything to do with hygiene :-D.
>
>Hope this helps, please don't ask my opinion on this one ;-D

!!!!!!! Heavens above!!!!!!! I am amazed.....I am also pretty sure
this 'reason' has nothing to do with the advice in the booklet,
though, as I have *never ever heard* it, and I feel sure I would have
done in all these (20) years of hearing strange advice.....unless, of
course, the person who wrote the booklet or checked it had been
trained in the Netherlands.

I think I can guess your opionion on it ; )

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne UK