From:
Kathy Rubin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Apr 2000 11:34:51 EDT
    I just have to put my 2ml worth in here!! My pediatric dentist, who
speaks to our prenatal infant care and postnatal mother baby classes, shows
parents slides of kids with malformed mouths due to pacifier use. He shows a
4 year old with a closed bite that has a gaping hole inbetween the teeth for
the pacifier. He also tells parents that pacifiers should come in sets of 2
so that parents can put them into their own ears!!!

    Also, I like to explain to parents (after demonstrating fast flow with
that bottle that always seems to be on the table in their hospital room),
that since bottle-fed babies take in so much milk so fast, they do not have
sufficient time to meet their suck needs, and so need the "plug" to satisfy
these needs. Breastfed babies, by virtue of the fact that they have a longer,
more leisurely feeding, usually meet their suck needs at the breast and have
no use for such artificial devices!!!

Kathy IBCLC RNC APN C in NJ (who is still threatening to write the Common
Sense Parenting book)