From:
"Stearns, Crystal" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Apr 2000 14:48:24 -0500
I'm confused, disgusted and angry!  So maybe ya'll can give me some much
needed guidance, support or just someone to vent to.
I have two moms in the hospital right now that are having their babies
placed in Protected Services who want to breastfeed.  Neither mom has
custody of their children for past abuse, abandonment, and drug use.  We are
once again dealing with drug abuse and many other issues with these mothers.
One of the  mothers has been able to breastfeed while in the hospital, but
once discharged we can not insure the safety of the breastmilk so the
infants will be given formula.
I didn't get into this job to have to keep dealing with this kind of junk.
I have ethical standard I want to follow and hate feeling like I'm being
backed into a corner. But on the other hand I don't feel it's safe for the
babies to be breastfeed.  What a dilemma!
Thanks for listening.

Crystal Stearns RNC, MS, IBCLC
Mercy Memorial Health Center
Ardmore, OK  73401