From:
Lynn Shea <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Apr 2000 14:06:26 EDT
Hi Jennifer, Your comments regarding stooling frequency, inferring that
stooling less than "a number" of times per day is abnormal, are not within my
realm of experience at all. As a mother of 3, exclusively breast fed
children, all started at approx. 1 month of age with a dramatic d/o in
stooling frequency- 1x per week, generally speaking. Contrary to the problems
that you mentioned, they did not have foul smelling stool or a change in
stool consistencty and they have NEVER had probs with constipation, to date,
at 5,12 and 15 yrs of age. As a matter of fact, the last 2  had probs with
loose stools when weaned at 14 and 16 mths respectively. This finding seems
to be consistent with my experience as hospital LC, as  many of the 500 or so
calls/wk that we received were asking about the normalcy of this very issue.
We always reassured that this was well within the realm of "normal".
Lynn Shea Bsn,Ibclc
franlin, Massachusetts- where the flowers are blooming but snow has been
falling of and on all day!