From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Jun 2000 09:20:23 PDT
Anne Smith,
You ask re cleaning a feeding tube and syringe: <<Are there safety issues
with using feeding tubes and syringes in this way?...I'm talking about
mothers who are using this system for weeks at a time.  Is there the
possibility of contamination of the tubes, and is this more likely with the
homemade system vs the Hazelbaker or SNS?>>

In my opinion, there are no more safety problems with this "improvised"
system. The biggest safety issue, which I know you are aware of (I state it
here for the record), is whether or not the parents have been effectively
taught how to use, clean, etc and CLOSE CAREFUL FOLLOWUP since this would be
an *abnormal* situation.

Pediatricians send moms home with syringes to give antibiotics or other meds
and the syringe can be re-used after cleaning. People who self-catherize use
the clean technique and re-use the catheters. Some parents are taught to
gavage feed babies and re-use the equipment. So I think it is ok. If you
want you could give them new syringe and tube when the come for followup
appointments. If this is going to be a fairly permanent situation, like a
mother with breast reduction surgery who has little milk or an adoptive mom,
then the full SNS or similar system would be preferable IMO.

Laurie Wheeler, RN, MN, IBCLC
Violet Louisiana, s.e. USA