From:
Kathy Dettwyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 May 2000 07:28:28 -0500
>We do not need to consider the difference between 2 individuals who may have a
>difference of 10 IQ points (not very noticeable,perhaps), but rather the
>difference in an entire population that has lost 10 IQ points.

I agree with the second part of this, but one needs to be cautious in
claiming that 10 points might not be noticeable at the individual level.

If one has an IQ of 150, rather than 160 -- who cares?  One is brilliant
either way.

If one has an IQ of 130 vs. 120, this might mean the difference between
getting into medical school or not.

If one has an IQ of 100 vs. 90, this might mean the difference between
getting into college or not.

If one has an IQ of 80 vs. 70, this is the difference between "low normal"
and being officially, technically "mentally retarded."

If one has an IQ of 40 instead of 50, this might mean the difference between
being able to read or not.

10 IQ points can make a huge difference in functional abilities, especially
at the lower end of the spectrum.

Kathy Dettwyler