From:
Terriann Shell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Apr 2000 19:28:33 -0800
I am calling on you memories of conferences past....

I remember seeing a slide of a mother who was diagnosed with insufficient breast tissue.  The slide is of her breast with a flashlight being shone under/ through and the breast lighting up like shining a flashlight through your hand.  Anyone remember something similar to this?  Anyone knowing of using a flashlight shining through a breast to confirm the lack of glandular tissue in a postpartum mother?

I have a mother who is not producing much milk again, for her second child.  All the answers to my questions point to insufficient glandular tissue (smallish breasts, no changes during pregnancy or postpartum, no engorgement or fullness, sufficient stimulation yet very poor supply, etc.) and since she is a friend,  I felt able to ask her to try the flashlight test.  Low and behold, her breasts lit up!  Then I asked some other breastfeeding friends to do the same and they did not report any light filtration.  To top it off, I tried it myself.  I have smaller, soft breasts after nursing eight babies and still nursing my almost-two-year-old.  I did not have light filtration!

Where did I hear about the flashlight test (a Jack Newman conference of years past?) and anyone else willing to try it?

Terriann Shell