Date:
Sat, 8 Jul 2000 08:54:12 -0400
The problem with screening tests is that they are overly broad, and you want
the test to be positive for more than the actual number of real positives,
so you don't miss any positives.  So those of you who suffered with a
positive alpha fetoprotein during your pregnancies know how much distress a
screening test can cause.  But it is the price we pay for wanting
perfection.

This test is probably for galactosemia.  However, if the baby is well, tell
the parents to keep breastfeeding.  Babies with full blown galactosemia are
usually quite sick by 3 weeks, I think.  "I think" because since it occurs
in only 1/60000 live births, it is hard to know what the spectrum of illness
is.

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC