From:
Jo-Anne Elder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Jul 2000 09:12:23 -0500
As someone posted, a lot of moms come to LLL meetings to find out how to
wear slings. One expectant mom came and saw them on display, asked how
they worked, and within a few minutes had four different positions shown
to her by moms arriving for the meeting. I generally have my 11 month,
22 pounder in one for at least part of the meeting. I find, though, that
a lot of first-time wearers are not comfortable wearing newborns in
slings and would like your suggestions about what / how to tell them to
position their baby in a comfortable way. I, myself, often put the baby
in a cradle hold and put my arm, with the baby in it, right in the sling
(or pulled the sling around the arm holding the baby) until the baby had
a bit more head control. Any idea?
Incidentally, slings, and the idea of carrying babies, is also a
cultural idea, even a regional one. In the prosperous city I used to
live in (Burlington, Ontario) everyone seemed to use expensive
strollers, often with infant seats designed to go in them, at the mall;
I thought briefly of getting one but by the time I explained to my
husband how it worked he had convinced me that it made more sense just
to carry the baby -- of course! Here, people carry their babies in
receiving blankets.
Jo-Anne, who couldn't figure out how to sling twins, either, and was
interested in your tandem sling posts