Date:
Sun, 25 Jun 2000 10:45:34 -0400
Dear Lactnetters,

I received this by email.  Any comments?

"I have a question regarding magnet therapy.  I am a physical therapist and
have come across several patients that have used products for pain control.
I admit I do not know much about them and alternative therapies in general.
My cousin is a distributor of magnet therapy products.  We went to visit her
overnight.  She had magnetic therapy mattress pads on all of the beds in her
house.  I wasn't expecting anything from sleeping on the mattress pad, but
when I pumped the next morning, I got twice as much milk as I normally do
when I pump!  For the next day or two following this, I continued to have an
increase in the amount of milk I pumped.  What information do you have (if
any) regarding magnet therapy and its effects on nursing.  Is it in any way
harmful?  And was this increase in milk volume related or is it just a
fluke?  I'd appreciate any information you might have on this subject."

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC