Date:
Thu, 27 Apr 2000 16:14:32 EDT
In a message dated 4/27/00 12:21:17 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< Carol wrote:
 " When we give free formula, no matter how  wonderful the breastfeeding
 program is, we are, I think, degrading women. We are telling them. It is
 OK for your babies to have second best. We don't want you to grow and
 increase your self esteem. We don't care if your babies are not as
 healthy and not as smart.  If we are really interested in the health of
 mothers, babies and children, we will stop giving free formula." >>

Please let's stop and consider what the breastfeeding atmosphere was in the
US when the WIC program began.
There was no breastfeeding atmosphere and very little breastfeeding!
WIC was not giving women an inferior product.  The formula that they gave was
a superior product to what was being given.  The women were not breastfeeding
and they could not afford to adequately nourish their babies.  The lack of
proper nourishment did not lead to breastfeeding - it led to undernourished
babies who did not thrive properly.  The WIC program saved a considerable
amount for the Medicaid program, because the babies were better nourished
(note I did not say superiorly nourished)
This is not to say that we should not encourage and support breastfeeding for
WIC moms - After all that is what I get paid to do.  But we have to be
careful not to throw the baby out with the bath water.  There are still many
women who cannot or will not breastfeed.  Without the option of formula for
these women we will once again face the situation of babies not getting
adequate nutrition.

Dori
NJ