Date:
Wed, 26 Apr 2000 23:20:30 EDT
Val asks,  << Please tell me honestly, after an hour, surely it is perfectly
ok to have a fresh  breast.! >>

OK, I'm not as technically proficient as plenty on the list, but I'm going to
stick out my neck here and say, "Do you feel like that breast got pretty well
drained, or does it still feel like you're in the middle of using it?"

If we insist that "a feed" is an artificial construct -- that sometimes
babies take a five minute break before going back to latch again, and
sometimes a five hour nap, and that that's OK and not pre-determined -- then
whether it's time to switch breasts needs to be determined by the same kind
of intuitive, how-does-my-body-feel logic on the part of the mother.

Sinuses all drained pretty well?  When you heft both breasts, one in each
hand, which now feels like "the full one"?   By the time I had my second
child I had given up the business of moving a ring from one hand to another
(much less a safety pin on the bra-strap, of all the unwieldy suggests that
appear in ten thousand books!) and gone over to the "give 'em each a shake
and feel it" test.   The point is, drain them both.  So get to know those
boobs, and use, as someone else posted here about hand expression a long time
ago, the implements got put on the end of your arms.

Anybody of the more physiological folks out there really think I am daring
lactose overload on this?  Hard to imagine it, but willing to learn if so --

Elisheva Urbas
agitator for infant feeding commonsense in NYC