From:
Chris Hafner-Eaton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Apr 2000 11:59:19 -0700
FYI...I can attest to having horrible chicken pox at age 31.  I was not bf,
but a healthy child in spite of formula.  My family unsuccessfully tried to
expose me.  When my then 4 year old got the pox, I too got it and miscarried
at 16 weeks.  I had 6 weeks of successive outbreaks--one with over 600 spots
(my son counted them), migraine, and horrible body aches.   I also endured
terrible harrassment for getting a childhood illness in a University dept
where I was 10 years younger than the next youngest faculty member.   One of
my doctoral students came to see me in my office over the weekend and never
came within 6 feet of me, but came down with it in the requisite amount of
time having had no other known contacts.  She too had a vicious case.  So,
while I'm not immunizing babies against the pox for various reasons, if my
kids don't all get it by the time they are teens, I'll recommend they get
the vaccine. 95% of adults have had chicken pox by the time they are 21
(lucky me).  Now you know more than you ever wanted to about my pox.
-- Chris Hafner-Eaton, PhD, MPH, CHES, IBCLC    [log in to unmask]