From:
Yael Wyshogrod <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Apr 2000 10:38:27 +0200
Maureene's post about the situation with breastfeeding instruction in her
hospital and the consequences for continuation of bf, describes exactly what
goes on here in the hospitals in my area, and, I believe, most hospitals
throughout the country.

Most hospitals here do not have LC's, the nurses (even those who have taken
lactation courses) lack sufficient time, knowledge and a feel for
breastfeeding, so that the mothers that do succeed are those fortunate
enough to have everything go smoothly on it's own,   or have taken bf
courses elsewhere of gone to LLL meetings or have other scources of support.
In the few hospitals that do have LC's, there is not enough time for
everyone to be seen.  However,  even the group bf clsses (given by an LC) in
these hospitals and the increased awareness of the possibility for seeking
help and solving problems, puts these mother's in a better position to
succeed at bf.
A disproportionately large number of the referrals I get are from mothers
who gave birth in  hospitals where there is an LC.  And, I do not believe
that this is because they have more problems, rather, because there is more
awareness and motivation to seek help for problems.
So, I believe that as long as the hospital staff is not able to get mother's
off to a good start (time, skill, knowledge and hospital policy all
neccesary for this to happen), the presence of an LC even part time, and
even not seeing many mothers individually, is still a great asset.

Yael Wyshogrod IBCLC
Rechovot, Israel

-