Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 13:47:19 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (10 lines)
I would appreciate any experience or info you have that could help us come up with a policy on this.It has not been a problem before.In our NICU at the moment there is a 30 week preemie,who is breastfeeding .Her mother has developed mastitis in one breast and the Neonatologist is not allowing the baby to recieve milk from the infected breast,but is asking the mother to save that milk till the baby is older.Baby is nursing and taking pumped milk from that side.Once the mother is on antibiotics she may commence nursing on both sides,so it is about 24-48 hours that mother can not use that milk.This neonatologist is supportive of breasteeding,she just doesnt want the baby to receive any bacteria at the moment.What do other NICU`s do in this situation.Is the a Human Milk Bank protocol covering this,We have not come up with this situation before and would like some references to help make a standard policy of care of mastitis and the use of the milk in the NICU>Looking through Riordan and Lawrence there is not a lot of info though they do cover scalded milk syndrome.I am hoping that Lois Arnold may read this also,does anyone know how I could contact her via e-mail.
Thanks for your help.
Pat.LC  in Maryland,

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2