From:
Johanna Berger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 2000 13:25:34 -0600
Finally putting my 2 oz. in on this subject.

As many of us come from different *helping* professions, our professional
organizations have codes of ethics  by which to conduct ourselves
professionally.  when the subject of informed consent in relation to
telling parents about the hazards of artificial feeding, I reviewed the
NASW (Nat'l Assoc. of Social Workers) Code of Ethics.  Sec. 1.03 states,
"[S]ocial workers should provide services to clinets on ly in the context
of a professional relationship based...on valid informed consent.  Social
workers should use clear and understandable language...risks realted to
the services...clients' right to refuse or withdraw consent...[S]ocial
workers should provide clients with an opportunity to ask questions."

I take this to mean that it is my professional responsibility to give
clients ALL the information I have on a subject.  That I must make it
clear and understandable, not couched in terms so as not to make them
feel guilty (i.e., if I find out a client is drinking and driving I need
to discuss her safety, the safety of others, what will happen if she
pulled over by the police, the punishment for DUI, etc.).  That clients
have freedom of choice, but cannot make choices without information.

I'm sure that if any nurse, MD/DO, lawyer, etc. went and looked at their
industry's ethical standards they would find something like this.
Therefore, if I was given a *hard time* about discussing the hazards of
bottle-feeding, I would bring up the above statement along with
additional  reasoning, "I am obligated by my professional organization
and licensure to uphold a standard of ethics.  I am only providing my
client with her right to informed consent in a non-judgmental manner in
order to promote her well-being."  [Sec. 1.01 committment to clients]

No one should feel professionally disempowered, gagged, etc. because
he/she chooses to uphold an ethical standard.

Well, I guess that was my 4 oz. worth.

Johanna Berger, LSW
Breastfeeding Counselor
Bala Cynwyd, PA