Date:
Sun, 23 Apr 2000 14:14:38 EDT
It DOES cost something to become a Lactation Consultant, time, energy and
experience. Being at meetings can give you some experience, reading books
from the LLL Group Library can help you learn and I think you've got the
energy. However, as being a LC is an allied Health Profession and requires
that you pass an exam, it is going to take some funds. Many of us began this
quest as stay at home moms much like yourself, nursing a baby and seeking out
more information. I can't speak for your country and the availabilty of a
community Library to borrow books from but that's exactly how I did it. Our
local library could get Lawrence, Neifert and other "professional" books and
once I read them, I realized the importance of having my own copy. Instead of
something I really didn't need for a birthday or holiday gift, I asked for
books! Eventually I DID get a job and was able to fund this profession.
(Although our accountant can't figure out why I work for so little!) Perhaps
you can take a correspondence course to be "lactation counselor" or something
a little less involved for now.  I would like to have a Master's Degree, but
I can't get one as fast as I'd like and for as little as I can pay for now.
No offensed, Just trying to offer encouragement and advice.
Mary Kay Smith, IBCLC
Romeoville IL