From:
Darlene A Breed <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Apr 2000 16:11:31 -0400
I am way behind in my reading, but wanted to post to you.
On Thu, 20 Apr 2000 15:39:24 -0400 Darlene A Breed <[log in to unmask]>
writes:

> On Thu, 30 Mar 2000 08:31:57 -0500 "Tess Parriott RN, IBCLC"
> <[log in to unmask]> writes:
> > We would like some feedback from hospital-based LC's, in
> particular:
> > 1.  How many LC's you have.
 We have one FTE, me 40 hours and a .88 FTE she works 35 hours
 (actually we are paid 40 hours and 35 hours respectively, but
 actually work many more than that.

> > 2.  How many deliveries you have per year
 4,000-  We are already 150 above our projected births this year so
 we may see more this year.

> > 3.  What hours you during the day you are in the hospital
 Our office hours are 8:30 am - 5 pm.  We are usually there until 6
 pm or later doing paper work, answering phone calls and whatever
 else needs to be done.

> > 4.  What services you provide
 We have a Milk Bank.  We do in patient consults on an as needed
 basis.  The nurses, physicians, or patient can call us for a
 consult.  We do out patient consults for a fee.  We have a pump
 rental depot, sell pumps, pillows and bras.  We do education for the
 Breastfeeding Resource Teams (one in the NICU and one on the Family
 Unit..  We have LDRPs).    We have a mandatory Ed Day for the entire
 perinatal area, all nurses are required to attend one a year.  There
 is a one hour inservice to update all nurses and patient care
 assistants.  We have the new orientees for breastfeeding education
 for two hours as part of their orientation.  They then spend a four
 hour block with us shadowing us when we see patients and rent pumps.
  I also do education programs for the med students at UMass Medical
 School, one on Nutrition and one for the Maternal Child Health
 rotation of students (usually ends up being two or three of each a
 year).
 We cover a 43 bed level III NICU, Pediatrics on another campus,
 the Family Unit and anywhere else there is a breastfeeding problem
 in the entire two hospitals.  We handle approximately 450-500 phone
 calls/ month.  I am also  responsible for writing and updating our
 Breastfeeding Manual (policies and procedures) and the Milk Bank
 policies and procedures.  I'm sure I am forgetting something, but
 that is what comes to mind now.

> > We have recently increased from two part-time positions (one 36
> hours/week and one 24hours per week) to two people each 36
> hours/week.  We have  been  seeing all new breastfeeding mothers,
> taking phone calls, seeing 2-3
> > outpatients/week, providing staff education, and developing
> policies.   Our hospital delivers about 2500 babies/year and has a
> 36 bed NICU  (where we also see patients)  We are nearly overwhelmed
> and now our  managers want 7 day/week coverage.  (we currently have
> office hours 700am-330pm  but usually here later)  We know that the
> recommendations for number of  lc's/deliveries is 1 to 1000 (which
> we fall quite short of) so we  want to  see how it is in the *real
> world*.
 I do also have a 10 hour perdiem Milk Bank Technician who
 works many more than ten hours a week, but we can only afford to pay
 her 10 hours.  She was a full volunteer until this year.  I have
 given the recommendations to our manager and vice president many
 times.  I also have kept track of all the hours we work w/o
 compensation in hopes of getting more help.
 Hope this has been helpful for you.  Keep up the good work!!.  At
 least you get to see all of the breastfeeding mothers.  We're lucky
 to see all the mother's who need help.  We do have to prioritize The
breastfeeding resource
 nurses are wonderful and the others are coming along.  With help
 from all the nurses I work with we do manage to get things done, but
 I do feel like most of the time I am running around putting bandaids
 on everything and praying it will help.  We do know the clients
 appreciate it because they call and tell us and they write us notes,
 etc.  They are the ones who count.

Thank you,
Darlene Breed, BSN, RN, IBCLC
Coordinator, Milk Bank & Breastfeeding Center, Worcester, MA (USA)
Treasurer, Human Milk Bank Association of North America (HMBANA)