From:
Pat Bull <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Apr 2000 18:00:34 -0400
Dianne,
>Mom is going through a divorce and anticipates some visitation =
difficulties. She will be unable to leave her 5 months old with Dad, =
because she is unable to pump because her milk turns rancid almost =
immediately and heating doesn't seem to help.<
I know we have had this discussion quite alot in the past.  It is known
that the lipid breakdown or fatty acids in some mother's milk is greater
due to the increase in their lipase, enzyme, activity.  It most frequently
occurs in frozen-defrosted milk.  I do get some calls from mother's/LC's
though, with babies that reject mother's fresh milk after 24hrs. Those demanding
babies!! Other babies could care less about the soapy or sour taste.
That is even after trying ALL containers (thinking it was the container).
I have had some success with Dr. Ruth Lawrence's suggestion of scalding the
fresh milk --not boiling!!!!! Bring it almost to boil, cool, and freeze.  This
will inactivate the lipase enzyme.  As I always say--Just Breastfeed the Baby!!
I hope things work out for this mother.
Pat Bull, RN, IBCLC
Naperville, IL -over 70 today
The Breastfeeding Connection/Medela