Date:
Sun, 9 Apr 2000 10:33:24 EDT
I have a question of other hospital based LC's. When the patient calls a few
days PP, tells you something to indicate she NEEDS to be seen but then says
she can't afford to come in, what then? It happens to us all the time and
sometimes we can put the charges on her bill but how do you convince the
patients that her money will be well spent while she is in such a vunerable
position? And not be percieved as just trying to 'milk' her ? Secondly, we
are wondering how much of that money actually gets collected from insurance
and otherwise if it is on the bill? Lastly, I am the part time LC and we also
have a full timer. We have approx. 2200 births per year, 7 day coverage, try
to see most pts. , have a store, pumps, staff education, ect. We pretty much
work opposite days and are trying to devise an efficient system of task
separation and collaboration but this is hard since we mostly communicate
through notes. We were talking a lot on the phone but this was so unfair to
the one at home. If we schedule meeting, than one is still getting pulled in
just for an hour on their day off. Any ideas from others in a similar
situation?
Maria Winschel IBCLC Naples FL