From:
Jean Ridler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Mar 2000 15:23:05 +0200
Yael said:

"I  have noticed that as more nurses and health professional become
"educated" about breastfeeding, many are picking up bits and pieces of
information and distorting it in a dangerous way. "

This is a real concern  here, too.  Common sense seems to evaporate with a
bit of education.  For example,  some hospitals now  use cups for
supplementation to avoid nipple confusion, but insist that all babies have
dummies.  We have hospitals with written breastfeeding policies, but at
least two of these  state "demand feeding is practised every 4 hours"!
With more emphasis being placed on correct position and attachment, mothers
are often told that the latch is perfect and their ongoing nipple trauma
simply needs another ointment or more laser therapy.  How can we make our
teaching more meaningful and clear up the misunderstanding and many myths
that surround breastfeeding?  How can we achieve the change in attitude that
is maybe needed before changes in practice can occur?

Jean Ridler  RN  RM  IBCLC
Cape Town, South Africa