From:
Anne Merewood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jul 2000 22:43:39 EDT
I read the article on medications in NEJM also. I  was rather disappointed.
Although the info seemed accurate it missed some obvious points, in
particular there was no mention whatsoever of Tom Hale or his book as an
excellent reference source. It was written by a toxicologist and the slant of
the article reflected this. The opening statements came down strongly in
favor of breastfeeding, and the conclusions drawn on individual drugs were
scientific but not very helpful. For example the article advised against
maternal smoking and breastfeeding. It did NOT  say 'don't smoke and
breastfeed', or imply smoking was contraindicated, but it said better not to
smoke if you breastfeed. When it could have said, if you smoke, better to
breastfeed than not to breastfeed. Anyone else read it and have an opinion?
Anne Merewood IBCLC
Boston Medical Center