Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Apr 2000 12:22:11 +1000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (14 lines)
Kim,
     As the baby is older, I wonder what s/he is eating or having put in the mouth?  If the situation has been going on for recent months, but not before, I cannot see how long BF sessions would have anything to do with it.
     Is the child eating any foods the mother may be sensitive to?  Examples might be tomatoes, dairy products (bovine milk/cheese/yoghurt), strawberries, pineapple.  If the child eats these foods and then latches on at breast, the skin of the nipple and areola may come in contact with these foods.
     It may not be food at all.  One of my colleages shared a case, at a Queensland Lactation College education session, where the culprit was *toothpaste*.  The mother had started cleaning her baby's teeth with toothpaste when the child was too young to rinse and spit.  The toothpaste round the child's mouth came in contact with the sensitive skin round the areola and nipple.  (Try putting toothpaste round your mouth, outside the mucous membrane area, and you will see what I mean.  It can be very drying.)
     If these ideas don't help with this baby, they may at least help with future cases.
         Cheers,
             Virginia

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2