From:
Norma Ritter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Apr 2000 15:59:26 -0400
libby - you can make a sling from 2.5 yds of any lightweight fabric. Take
the two short ends and tie them in a loose reef knot - left over right,
right over left. Have the mother try it on, then adjust the knot. That's
it - no sewing required!
BTW, I have limited use of my right arm. The elbow is *stuck* and won't
bend owing to an old injury, and I had serious concerns about how I would
manage with a baby. One way is to use the *good* arm to hold a baby in a
football hold to one breast, and a cross-cradle at the other.

hugs from norma

Norma Ritter, IBCLC
private practice in Big Flats, NY

> One woman, who was 6 months along with her 4th, quickly
told me she had always wanted to breastfeed but was afraid.  Afraid of
what? I asked.  She pulled a limp arm out of her lap (I hadn't noticed
she
wasn't using it) and said she was afraid of dropping the baby.
Our clinic sees mostly indigent women, many immigrants, and this woman
looked particularly poor.  When I mentioned the sling-type device she
said
she had wanted one but couldn't afford it.