From:
Kathy Rubin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Apr 2000 18:04:26 EDT
In light of our recent threads on this topic, I queried the NJ Board of
Nursing with regard to "Over the Counter" meds (OTCs). Here was their
response--remember, it is directed at nurses

"As part of your nursing care plan you can include OTC's.But many facilities
do not allow this and all orders have to come from a physician. That is a
facility rule not the law. The RN needs evidence based information to make
her plan if she has been given the responsibility to assess and manage
certain aspects of the patient's care. The use of OTC's can certainly be
part of that plan. The nurses in Well Baby Clinics tell the moms to give the
babies Tylenol before and after immunizations"

So the gist of it is that one needs "evidence based information" --this
should be kept in mind with all products, I would imagine, including
creams/ointments, topicals such as Gentian violet, etc.

Kathy in NJ