From:
Diane Wiessinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Apr 2000 09:15:18 -0400
>it does not seem to be Psoriasis because
>there is no silvery scaling or any other signs on her body. This seemed to
>happen when she moved to a dryer climate. She takes loads of Flax oil and
>drinks plenty of H2O, and constantly puts Lansinoh on the dry area. Nothing
>seems to help. She has not changed any cosmetics or food or detergent or
>anything like so. We don't think it's from the baby teething because she's
>been doing that for quite some time.

I've been in e-mail contact w/ a woman who had similar trouble w/ each of
her 2 children, beginning at 7 to 9 months after problem-free nursing.
Solids were started some months before the sore nipples began.  She's
pregnant again, it's already flaring up, and she's desperate to avoid
problems so early.  Between us, we've come up with this so far:

Once she increased her water consumption, much of her skin problem resolved.
 She now fills an 8-glass pitcher each morning and empties it by bedtime, in
addition to whatever else she happens to drink.  She was amazed at the
difference.  But some soreness remained.  Then she shifted to another bra -
one she's had with each of the other two babies - and it got much worse.
*It's a bra size that's intermediate between the largest she needs while
nursing and her pre-children bra size*.  In other words, it acted as a "step
down bra" with her previous two, once they were getting more solids and her
breast size decreased somewhat.  This time, she was using it as a "step-up
bra" as her pregnancy advanced.  It's the same fiber content as her other
bras, but something about it is clearly different.  This may not fix the
whole problem, but between the two solutions we seem to have fixed most of
it.

Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC  NYS