Date:
Tue, 14 Mar 2000 09:17:30 +0000
Bettina writes:

>Most of us have had this situation, and I'm sure there have been many
>posts, but... I saw a mom in the hospital today, with her second baby, via
>C/S, 3 days post op, getting drops of milk/colostrum by hospital pump
>after nursing.  Now I know 3 days is too early

Yes, I agree....too early to be anxious, and lots of time for reassurance.

>Her baby has a wide gape and is eager to nurse

Well, that's good news....

>, but gets pokey with the decreased flow (pre and postfeed wt.6cc in 40 min.

No idea whether this is good or bad in these early days, except we know
babies may take very little in terms of volume in the first days.  What
weight gain would you be looking for?

>Meanwhile she is 'treading water' by nursing 8+ /24 hours, using breast
>compression (which did help a bit), and pumping.

I would suggest that skin to skin contact and co-sleeping would be more
important than any of these in these very early days.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne UK