Date:
Sat, 11 Mar 2000 17:53:36 EST
Hello Lactnetters,
    I wanted to say thanks again to all who responded to my requests for
information on breastfeeding and osteoporosis.  I have absorbed the shock of
having a lifelong disease and spent a great deal of time researching. The
pain has decreased sufficiently thanks to the help of family and friends who
have been here taking care of my home and baby while I sit still.  I can walk
a little around the house. I am still fearful of further fractures.
    Rose and I are still nursing. In fact, it is one of the few things I can s
till do which gives some sense of normalcy to life.  I don't know how we
would ever manage if she were bottle-fed.  After reviewing a great deal of
research I have decided that we are at the point, 5-6 months postpartum,
where my bone loss has already reached it's lowest point average of 3 to 9%.
We are beginning to add solids. Having begun the weaning process bone
resorption should be turning around naturally.  Research is clear that bone
density is restored post-lactation and with the return of menses, an average
of 1.1 to 1.9% increase over baseline, even in the case of a pregnancy before
complete weaning.
    The endocrinologist requested a few labs, all of which turned out to be
normal. His plan of action is 1500 mg of calcium daily, Miacalcin Nasal
Spray, and Actonel (risedronate) as soon as FDA releases it for use in the
US. I am uncertain as to whether I want to use the risedronate since it is
such a new drug. I don't mind experimenting on myself so much, but I don't
want to experiment on the baby.  Dr. Hale, is there any information yet on
safety of this drug while breastfeeding?  What would be the advantage of
using it over Fosamax (alendronate sodium)? Follow-up with another bone
density test is not for a year.
    I have also begun to use natural progesterone cream daily.  This is an
alternative to estrogen therapy which is known to increase bone density
without the side effects and so far has not affected milk supply either. I am
using calcium supplements with, magnesium, manganese, copper, zinc,
phospoorus and boron. Boron in 3mg per day has been found to be significant
in building bone in conjunction with calcium. I am also using an herbal
calcium. I have added lots of calcium in the diet, especially greens since
there is some debate about the effectiveness of dairy calcium.
    I still welcome any information you come across related to lactation,
osteoporosis, and treatments.  La Leche League's PL Department has provided
me with some excellent information as well.
    Judy Gutowski, IBCLC
typing with baby on my lap as with previous post on milk after stopping
breastfeeding - sorry for typo's