Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 17:16:17 +0000
I have been invited to a London press launch of a 'major advance in Baby's
Milk Supplementation' and I am quoting here from the paper.....which I
can't go to as it is too far away at too short notice.

It says 'new findings published in Developmental Medicine and Child
Neurolgy show that infants fed baby's milk supplemented with nutritional
supplements docasahexaenoic acid (DHA) and arachidonic acid (AA)
deonstrated improved mental development over infants fed non-supplemented
milk.'

I called the PR and he told me this supplement is made by Martek, and it is
based on algae lipids (as opposed to the egg lipids currently in Milupa in
the UK) . It is available worldwide in pre-term formula, and in 7 countries
in term formula. SMA  (Wyeth, I think that's AHP) is ready to roll with it
in term formula,  but it's waiting for FDA approval in the US, and DoH
approval here.

The research was done in Texas.

The PR said 'it could be on sale tomorrow with the right approval'.  He
said there were safety concerns about the chemical effect of the egg lipids
on the brain, hence the new development with algae.

Must be a fact that algae lipids are closer to human lipids than egg

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne UK