Date:
Tue, 30 May 2000 18:23:03 EDT
In a message dated 5/30/00 10:36:35 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< So here is my list of questions:  It doesn't seem to affect breastfeeding
but mom
 worries that Baby Anna's tongue is sore and in turn so her nipples will be
due to
 baby's changing use of abraded tongue.  Or will the baby learn to cope with
the
 tooth?  Will the tooth need to be removed (suggested by a HCP)?  Are the
teeth
 babies are born with extra or is it simply an early eruption of the normal
 deciduous teeth?  How much time is too much to obsess about the pearly, white

Dear Kerri,
    I have seen dozens of babies with teeth at birth....usually in the lower
incisor area.   If not removed they often "tighten up" as this baby  you have
seen has done.   I will include here the excerpt from my 1977 "Synopsis of
Oral Pathology" by Dr. S. N. Bhaskar :
"Predeciduous dentition.  Predeciduous dentition is an extremeley rare
condition that implies the presence of teeth preceding the deciduous
dentition.  Such teeth are generally present at birth or may erupt soon after
birth ( natal and neonatal teeth, respectively ).  These are usually aborted
structures and consist only of caps of enamel and dentin.  If loose, they may
be accidentally aspirated and therefore should be removed.  Occasionally a
normal member of the deciduous dentition will erupt prematurely.  This should
be distinguished from a predecidous tooth and not be extracted."

    When I worked in pedodontics, we usually took a lower anterior xray (fast
speed film/minimal exposure) to see if there was a root and to ascertain if
it was a supernumerary.  It can be wiggled out with topical anesthesia and a
prick of xylocaine if necessary.  The oral cavitiy heals rapidly so if this
baby's tongue is affected it should heal up ok.  A pediatric dentist is your
best choice.  They get in and out quickly and are not intimidated by such
things!  Good luck.
Jan Ellen Brown RDH IBCLC
Charlotte, NC USA