From:
Carol Brussel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Apr 2000 00:18:38 EDT
<<  Most
 WIC infants get that first free dose of infant formula courtesy of the
 hospital they are born in and not from the WIC Program >>

hooray valerie for tellin' it like it is. the only thing you could have done
differently would have been to PUT IT IN CAPS! until those who work at
hospitals understand about this problem of giving formula in their
institutions, then what good is our work?

 how often i hear the answer to my question "yes, they put formula on my
nipples when she wouldn't latch on right away, they gave her formula after
doing a heel stick and saying she had hypoglycemia, they gave her formula
because they said i didn't have any milk and she was starving, they gave her
formula so i could get some rest, they gave her formula" etc. etc.

and the other answer is "no, they didn't tell me about the risks of formula.
what's informed consent mean?"

"mopping up activities continue"

now over to pamela for how they handle formula at her hospital.

carol brussel IBCLC