From:
Susan Hergert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Mar 2000 09:04:50 -0500
Teresa said:

"That puts me in an awkward position - having to contradict the nurse or

doctor. And I wonder how many mothers give up because they are in pain
but
they KNOW it can't be the latch or positioning because they were told it
was
fine?"

And this brings up another point: when the HCP doesn't know how to fix
the latch s/he will try to blame it on something else. I am seeing over
diagnosis of yeast for both nipple and breast pain. "Oh yes (over the
phone), this is easy...we can prescribe something....don't have to see
the baby at breast even."

This is my concern about what will happen if we over-medicalize
breastfeeding. Everything will become a medical problem, and the only
way to fix these problems is with drugs or surgery.

Susan