From:
Susan Hergert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Mar 2000 18:11:08 -0500
Chris said:

> Lastly, I think that some practitioners have way too much ego invested
> in
> the issue of patients taking action on their own behalf.  We can
> educate,
> provide support, caution, and provide both clinical studies and lead
> by
> example, but in the end for competant decision makers, the choice is
> theirs.
> Do you want your patients to feel comfortable discussing all their
> options
> with you?    Please try to have an open mind...

I have to say I agree here. I have argued before that sometimes we run
the risk of becoming paternalistic with the women who seek our help.
Really, in the long run, it is up to THEM. It is our responsibility to
educate and offer our best suggestions, but...not to say "this is how it
will, or won't be." There are other professionals whom we tend to bash
when we hear stories about how  "my doc said I have to do this, or the
nurse said I can't do that."  Let's not fall into that trap!

Susan