From:
Chris Hafner-Eaton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Mar 2000 21:28:55 -0800
Carol:  I understand your skepticism about homeopathy;  afterall, I have a
PhD in Health Services Research and Policy Analysis and an MPH in Behavioral
Sciences and Health Ed from UCLA, have taught Biostatistics, Research
Methodology, Pharmacology in Public Health Settings, and a variety of other
classes including Women's Health and MCH.  All this notwithstanding, I wish
that you would not discount the **possibility** that something that we don't
fully understand--akin to not fully understanding the immunology behind
bf--could have beneficial effects.  Whether one believes in immunization as
a widespread policy or not, vaccines are based on a similar principle to
homeopathy.  Yes, the titrations are a bit higher, but even allergy
immunotherapy titrations start out at the same levels as therapeutic
homeopathy before building up internal tolerance and progressing on to
higher doses.

So, while not intending to flame anyone, I do want to stress that I have
used homeopathics successfully in dozens of women and over 50 babies (not
all the same indications).  You are free to think as you wish, but even if
there is a shred of validity--with no potential harm--I think you are short
changing your patients by remaining closed to this.

If desired, I would gladly provide a much longer explanation as to the
theory behind how these work.
--
Chris Hafner-Eaton, PhD, MPH, CHES, IBCLC  [log in to unmask]   541-753-7340;
mom/wife/educator/lactation consultant/ scientist/ researcher/ organic