From:
Jon Ahrendsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 19:33:01 -0600
this is an off label use for Neurotin.  It is approved for use as an
anti-seizure drug and is used a lot for diabetic neuropathy and for reflex
sympathetic dystrophy. (a nerve condition that occurs after trauma like a
break or severe sprain or contusion.

The medication is exceedingly safe.  Toxicological studies in overdose
attempts show that there are few if any side effects.  The drug has no know
interaction with any other medication.

I have used the medication a lot for people with painful extremities and for
the pain of post herpetic neuralgia.  Based on my experience with the drug
and the information from Hale, I would not hesitate to use it if I thought
the mother needed to take it.  I'm sorry that I can't give you anything more
authoritative than my opinion.

Jon Ahrendsen MD FAAFP
Clarion, Iowa 50525