Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Pat Bull <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Apr 2000 19:11:07 -0400
Hello Netters,
My understanding is that HMF is used for premies more for the minerals and
less
so for the calories.<
That is true, but as  Paula Meier has told me that many NICU's misuse it
thinking
it will increase baby's weight .  It will increase the calories, but also
increases the Calcium,
Phosphorus, Protein, etc and therefore puts baby at risk.
While talking about Paula Meier, I have to add my 2 cents now about baby's
negative
sucking pressure.  That is the whole theory behind her research on the
successful usage
of a premie nipple shield with premie babies.  As the baby sucked on the
shield,
a negative pressure  was created and assisted with the milk transfer.  She
found there
 was a statistical and clinical significant increase in milk transfer (I
believe 3X as great)
 with no adverse effect to the duration of breastfeeding.  It should have
been published by
now, but you know how long it takes to get the research out.  Have a good
weekend everyone.
If you want me to remove myself from lactnet due to my last comment on
nipple shields, I will.
Meanwhile, I have some more sayings.  Definition of accountant- Someone who
takes your
money for counting your money.  I know it appled to me this week.
Pat Bull, RN, IBCLC
Naperville, Il
The Breastfeeding Connection/Medela