From:
"MORTON,TERRY" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Feb 2000 20:04:52 -0500
I have mom's permission to post to Lactnet:
Received call from mother who states 13 month old daughter has developed
bilateral breast buds starting at about the age of ten months. No secretion
noted from either breast. She continues to nurse several times/day --
naptime, bedtime and they co-sleep so mom says she nurses "off and on" most
of night.  The mother is fine with this and would not be concerned, however
baby's pedi tells mom it is past time to wean and that he feels breast buds
are caused by her "prolonged" nursing. He is sending her for consult to
endocrinologist.  She has no intention of weaning -- both she and baby love
it! She would like to know if there is cause for worry.  I searched archives
and came up with one applicable entry from Linda Shaw which dismissed the
notion that breastfeeding could cause breast lumps. Does anyone else have
any knowledge or reference I could share with this mother? TIA, Jan Morton
RN,IBCLC