From:
Deanne Francis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 2080 21:17:17 -0700
Doesn't ABM mean "Artificial Baby Milk" rather than Artificial Breast Milk"?

On another topic we have discussed into the ground, I was around practicing
nursing and having babies back in the days when ALL babies were kept NPO for
12 hours after delivery.  I fought like mad (and lost!) trying to get to
breast feed my first baby in the first four hours or so, because all babies
had to have their "stomachs cleared of mucous and blood", and have a "test
water feeding," to prove they didn't have a TE fistula.  Interesting that in
all the years they did that, not one TE fistula was ever reported as being
diagnosed by giving a water feeding.

NOW we have mandatory forced feedings because of low glucose levels.  Great
Balls of Fire!!!
I just took the head of our corporate Neonatology services the ABM article
on hypoglycemia in term breastfed newborns.  He said, "Please come into my
office tomorrow to talk about this." I can hardly wait!  The ammunition is
in the chamber.
Deanne Francis, RN, IBCLC
NICU