From:
Maurenne Griese <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 2000 11:31:06 -0600
I must have missed this thread.  Our Peds are wanting us to do admission, 2
hour and four hour blood glucose checks on ALL babies.  For high risk
babies, they want them before every feeding for 12 hours after birth.  In my
opinion, this is barbaric.  Below 40, we have doctor's orders to supplement.

Do any of you have some up to date hypoglycemia protocols (with references)
you would be willing to share with me because we very much want to change
this 'all babies are sick until proven otherwise' mentality!?  Kathy D. and
Laurie, I hear what you are saying and must agree!

Maurenne Griese, RNC, BSN, CCE, CBE
Manhattan, KS  USA
http://www.networksplus.net/griese