From:
James Mading <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Dec 1999 18:18:31 -0600
RE: alternate for bottle to represent babies.  The usual response I
get when I question the use of a bottle image is, "What do you want
them to show, a breast?"  Wouldn't it be something if that was
considered "acceptable"!  A number of images come to my mind.  Teddy
bears-whoops, someone alredy uses that!  It would have to be
significantly different to avoid giving that company any
recognition.  A baby buggy (a little old fashioned, prhaps, but
recognizable).  I like a simple little line drawing of a face with
one little curl on the top-could add a blue or pink ribbon.  A pair
of booties would work.  Lets see what ideas the rest of you can come
up with.  Maybe one of us should start a greeting card/paper company
that would meet the Baby Friendly criteria-there's a thought.

RE children and dolls with bottles-I remember the first time my
daughter got such a doll.  She looked at the bottle and the doll for
quite a while and then began putting the bottle in and out of the
doll's mouth like she was spoon feeding it!  She got the idea it had
something to do with eating, but all she had seen were babies being
nursed at LLL metings.  Incidentally, she developed a great "hands
off" way to nurse her dolls, stuffed animals, etc.  She would tuck
her "baby" under her shirt, then tuck her shirt into her slacks and
go about whatever else she was doing!
Winnie Mading RNC, IBCLC