From:
Carla D'Anna <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Jan 2000 18:03:09 -0500
Ann,     I think you are right on target to suspect Paget's with this mom.
If 1 of 8 women get breast cancer and 1% of those cancers are Paget's(I read
1 - 4% in different sources)  then it is rare but not unheard of.   In my
brief reading I found this is a frequently ignored or late diagnosed type of
cancer.  Add to  that the unfortunate tendency to sometimes ignore or miss
signs of cancer when a woman is lactating and an arrogant MD and you have
the making of a tragedy.     The reading did suggest Paget's occurs mostly
in the 40 - 70 year old age range but didn't say it was impossible at a
younger age.  It  is also often associated with  other breast cancers which
might explain the original  pain that never totally cleared with antibiotic
treatment which is another red flag for possible breast cancer.   The
reading also suggested that if it were eczema it would spread to surrounding
tissues in a matter of weeks where Paget's stays confined on the surface to
the nipple/areola  longer.  Four months seems long enough.  Diagnosis is
made with a biopsy, which can be done by a dermatologist.   I hope this
isn't your 4th pick up in a year but good job for being so thorough in the
face of such adversity.
Carla
PS, when I did a search on paget's, cancer and breast I didn't get much but
paget's, cancer and nipple got lots of  interesting hits on www. google.com