Date:
Fri, 7 Apr 2000 15:59:41 +0100
Update on this: the edict is now (we learn) extended to bottle feeding
babies - that is, they are not allowed in the committee rooms either.

The discussion on the radio I have just heard pointed out that the whole
thing has been handled very gracelessly by the publicity machine.

It's babies they are not keen on, because they think they might disturb
business, I suppose.

I think they used the 'refreshments' ban as a way of simply keeping babies
out.

Now that is an argument, and one that's debateable, about the
appropriateness or otherwise of where babies can and can't be.

One participant commented that there's no need for a rule. Most people are
aware of when their babies are an active distraction and take the
appropriate action. Having rules is just unnecessary.

She said 'you might as well have a rule that says 'please do not change
your baby's nappy on the Prime Minister's desk'.

Skimming over the excretory analogy, I think she has a point.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne UK