Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Monique Schaefers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Jan 2000 19:46:56 -0800
Kathy Birt wrote:

> I have been contacted  by a local school counselor.
> She is assisting a 14 yr old mom that has been bf her
> baby for 16months.  She describes her as giving in to
> anything the baby wants. She says the mom hates
> breastfeeding and wants to stop. she only feeds her
> because she cries for it and won't let her cry.(SNIP)

How about contacting the state agency that administers Welfare or TANF
(Temporary Aid to Needy Families)??  This girl is almost certainly a
TANF recipient.  When you come up with a plan for her they can cause her
to follow the plan or lose her TANF money until she does.  She'll jump
to to keep the money.

She needs to be in parenting classes and hooked up with an older BFing
mother as a mentor!!!  Any local LLL Leaders willing to come to the
table on this?

It may not be the worst thing to happen to that baby to be in foster
care.  This is a DANGEROUS situation!  Hitting a child for breastfeeding
and NORMAL behavior is WRONG WRONG WRONG.  I am suspect of the
description *holy terror*.  My guess is this baby wants to be close to
her own mother (who probably played doll babies with her and now wants
to stop doing so) and is acting out to get that attention.  My
definition of acting out for a 16 month old does not mean being *bad* it
means normal 16 month old behavior.  She and daddy are obviously not
able to make appropriate decisions for and about this baby as they allow
her out of her carseat for their own expedience.

--
Monique
Noah 6/97, ?? edd 6/18/00

Teen Parenting Advocate/Teacher/Mentor
Newberg and McMinnville High Schools
Student Parenting and Childcare Programs