Tue, 23 Apr 2002 14:49:43 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
MIME-Version:
Reply-To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (10 lines)
We have probably talked this topic nearly to death but I do want to reply that I have seen mothers reinfected with yeast from frozen milk.  When a mother calls with yeast I encourage her to use the milk while she and baby are being treated.  Of course there are moms who don't realize that they have yeast until they have created a stockpile.  Most mothers find the yeast painful enough that they don't want to risk getting it again.  At a conference I attended in February, Mary Rose Tully of the milk bank in North Carolina suggested mothers pasteurize their own milk.  I've never canned anything in my life, but the process sounded fairly simple.  Thaw milk, divide it into 8oz sterile, glass canning jars, process in a boiling water bath for 30-40 minutes, then refreeze.  The baby does lose some breastmilk benefits but still gets milk that is superior to formula.  
A propositon for researchers out there...  It seems that with the routine use of antibiotics for group b strep prophylaxis intrapartum, we are seeing more yeast on nipples.  For mothers who have had yeast with a previous baby and treated with abx during this labor, I have been recomending including yogurt in their diets.  Women with recurrent vaginal yeast infections have been doing this for years.  Two mothers who keep in touch regularly, have not had problems this time.  Has anyone seen any official research into this? 
Amy Stallings RN, IBCLC  

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2