Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jan 2010 09:48:16 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
I think we would all agree that it is not necessary to be an RN to be an IBCLC.  If it was, it would be required to sit the exam!..However, the current reality is that too many places that are willing to hire an IBCLC insist on that person also being an RN. For someone seeking gainful employment NOW, not in the ideal future, however long that takes, it may be necessary to seek a nursing degree in addition to IBCLC-not because it is necessary on the IBCLC end, but because it is the only way to obtain a paying position.
As a profession, we need to strive to have our title recognized as a free-standing one.  This is something that needs to be worked on by the IBLCE, ILCA and affiliates such as USLCA (who can deal with the different national/local issues).

MOST IMPORTANTLY, as individuals, those of us who are both RN and IBCLC should be in the forefront of this battle.  If we work in a setting that wants us to have both titles, we should be fighting to have job descriptions that do not require both.  Management may see a non-RN IBCLC fighting to have the title recognized independently as doing so for self interest, but when one with both says that the RN part of her background is NOT essential to functioning as an IBCLC, it may be more likely to be heard.  Again, this is not the way it should be, but what the reality is too often today. 
Secondly, this is one of the primary reasons we need to have liscensure.  The hospital I worked at was willing to have non-RN IBCLC's, but stated that to be able to officially receive and document  MD orders, some form of liscensure was required.  I know that is not a universal opinion, but I am sure ours wasn't the only institution with that requirement.  Many who have posted on this issue have cited dietitians, PTs etc. as examples or professions that do not require also having an RN title, but remember, these other professions are licensed.

Winnie Mading, RN, LLLL, IBCLC (etc.)

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2