Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jul 2013 13:24:21 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (39 lines)
Jeni writes:

<I see it as the pendulum has swung too far the other way.  I remember in 1992 when I gave birth to my first son, being told not to breastfeed for more than 2 min the first day or I would get sore.  So I see lots out there telling staff not to limit feedings but some older nurses have gone further by saying baby should feed for a certain length of time.  

I have kept the "wolves at bay" and baby's not supplemented when fed for short periods by pointing out that if baby is stooling, then baby is feeding.  This is what I was taught.>

A historical perspective:

In 1948 at the height of the U.S. baby boom, (we're talking the babies that are now "the boomers" who have been "running the society for decades"), our medium sized community hospital was having 3600 births per year, and vaginally delivered moms were staying 3-5 days. No IV's except in direst emergencies, which kept early "pre-L-II" edematous swelling of mom's breast from happening. However, nursery rules were no doubt constructed to help manage the majority, who were born to moms with NPO during labor, (sometimes well over 24 hours). twilight sleep and general anesthetics, which also affected baby's ability to eat, as well as mom's ability to feed or much else without help for 4-8+ hours.

Each baby's crib  card had tabs to be removed for significant events. If a baby had not voided at least once, and stooled at least once in the first 24 hours, this sparked further investigation.

All babies, preterm as well as term, were kept NPO for 12 hours, then given bottles of 5% GW every 4 hours for 12 hours. (quite laxative for most!) Milk feeding commenced at 24 hours, for both hospital-made formula-fed and breastfeeding babies, and breastfeeding was strictly scheduled every four hours unless a few doctors ordered q. 3 hours.  and heavily supplemented in waking hours, and often complemented by formula in the nursery for 1-2 nights till mom's "milk came in". 

First breastfeeding day (PP day 2) one-side per feeding, starting with 3 minutes that day, 5 minutes on one breast per feeding the next day and 7-10 on one side the next day. All they were doing was delaying the onset of many cases of sore nipples till after discharge. Glass and rubber nipple shields, as well as thick rubber shields, internally ridged, were passed out to many moms, but only "bicycle horn breast pumps" were available, and could only be used with a doctor's order. I got to be the "test case" of the first mom/baby to room in there, but not starting till 24 hours, and not knowing any better, using the same timing rules as every one else!

Is it any wonder that breastfeeding rates went way down, and aren't we lucky that a certain discussion among moms took place at a famous picnic in Franklin Park Illinois in 1957, that "gave birth" to the La Leche League!!! The authors of the newest WABF included my personal "vignette" in front of chapter 7. Life changing experience for me and my whole family, and my professional colleagues, one of whom labeled me (behind my back, to a doctor) "Oh "Miss Push" was on!" when one mom complained about her baby being brought out 3 times in one night!

K. Jean Cotterman RNC-E, IBCLC
WIC Volunteer LC   Dayton OH

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2