Use Monospaced Font
Show Text Part by Default
Show All Mail Headers

Topic: [<< First] [< Prev] [Next >] [Last >>]

Print Reply
Keren Epstein-Gilboa <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 1 May 2002 01:09:03 -0700
text/plain (16 lines)
Very briefly: I think that I have written about this previously so sorry for repeating but this issue is very important. 

Unfortunately, some children whose families experience divorce are exposed to issues that impede normal emotional development. These issues include but are not limited to, separation and loss, inconsistencies in daily lifestyle and a sense of loss of control over the environment. Therefore, in order to enrich optimal development one should take care to ensure that the above issues are minimized. 

Obviously, forcing a nursing child, be they five months or five years, to separate from the beloved breast and/or parent for periods perceived by the child as prolonged will likely reinforce mental models of instability and impede the evolvement of healthy emotional scripts. The meaning of separation for prolonged periods is individually based and might be an hour for one child and a night for another. Decisions based on the child's best interest must take individual meaning into account and this includes the meaning of breastfeeding for the mother/child dyad. 

I realize that due to the unfortunate lack of understanding of the role of breastfeeding in development, this is easier said than done. 

Keren Epstein-Gilboa MEd BScN RN FACCE LCCE IBCLC                PhD (Candidate), Human Development/Family Relations              Psychotherapist

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2