Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jun 1996 13:39:51 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (18 lines)
Hello all,
I just saw a mother who had axillary breast tissue under both arms.  She said these had
begun growing 3 months into her pregnancy and when I saw her for engorgement at 3 days
postpartum, the lumps in her armpit were golf ball size.  I had been unable to get in
touch with her for a few days and just talked with her again today at 7 days postpartum.
 She reported that she had gone to the emergency room on Sunday as the tissue beneath
her arms had swollen to tennis ball size and she was unable to lift her arm or use her
hand.  The emergency room doctor and her OB both recommended cold turkey weaning, saying
that if she attempted to continue lactation that the armpit tissue would continue to
produce milk and continue growing.  I had recommended cabbage for the armpits and the
usual engorgement treatments for the rest of her breasts (including cabbage).  My
feeling is that if this is separate breast tissue (she did notice leaking from 3 tiny
holes under her arms) that it will involute and stop producing milk independently of her
"normal" breasts and she could continue to breastfeed.  However, Lawrence says in a
discussion of accessory tissue that "If treatment is not initiated before pregnancy and
lactation, in these cases, the symptomatology of pain and sweling will be intensified
and may progress to mastitis or the necessity to terminate lactation."

ATOM RSS1 RSS2