Content-Transfer-Encoding:
quoted-printable
Message-ID:
Sender:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Sarah Vaughan <[log in to unmask]>
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
Getting baby into own crib: As much as I loathe Tracey Hogg's style and OneTrueWayism, she does have the best advice I know of on settling a baby in a crib without leaving them to cry (her PU/PD method, which she describes in 'The Baby Whisperer Solves All Your Problems'). My usual advice is that they get the book from the library (or even read that section in the bookstore!) and grit their teeth against the patronising "your problems are all your fault for doing it wrong/being misled, you poor thing, but don't worry because I'm here to help you" tone while focusing on the advice, which is sound.

Milk sharing: Can this mother (the one wishing to donate) contact the milk bank and see whether she can arrange the screening tests through them prior to donating directly to her friend? That way, she will have gone through the same rigorous screening procedure and advice as women donating directly to the milk bank. I suppose there would still be issues with pasteurised vs. unpasteurised and I honestly don't know what the evidence base is with regard to safety issues of unpasteurised but screened milk - I would guess at that point it's extremely low risk but honestly don't know. 

Also - as lovely a thought as it is, do we know how the friend feels about it? It is possible that the mother you're working with has assumed the friend will want donor milk when in fact she's not comfortable with the idea (just considering all ramifications).

Best wishes,

Sarah

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2