Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Oct 2003 08:45:04 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (21 lines)
It is news to me that trans fats are passed into breastmilk.  Trans fats are a real problem for all of us, though, especially our growing and developing infants and children.  I often recommend Ruth Yaron's Super Baby Food book to parents whose babies are starting solid foods.  This is what she writes about hydrogenation.

"Hydrogenation is a chemical process that adds hydrogen to unsaturated fatty acids.  Remember that unsaturated fatty acids are not holding the maximum amount of hydrogen--they are not saturated with hydrogen.  Hydrogenation makes oils more saturated:  monounsaturated oils become more polyunsaturated, and polyunsaturated oils become more saturated.  Hydrogenation adds to the saturation, and therefore also to the solidity, of the previously liquid vegetable oils, making their texture more palatable to some people.  Adding hydrogen is a cheap way to make fats less prone to rancidity.  It greatly extends the shelf life of fats.  Unfortunately, it may also greatly reduce the life of people that eat them.  If an oil is completely hydrogenated, it is similar to a saturated fat and is stable.  Partially hydrogenated oils are worse than fully hydrogenated or totally saturated oils.  If an oil is only partially hydrogenated, the part that has not taken on hydrogen--the unsaturated part--is open to the formation of trans fatty acids.  Trans fatty acids (TFAs) are carcinogens (cancer-causing agents), and also have been found to raise LDL levels in the bloodstream and decrease HDL levels.  They are not found naturally in foods, and are brought about by heating oils to high temperatures or by chemical processes such as hydrogenation.  BUYER  BEWARE:  Partially Hydrogenated Oil:  avoid any food products containing partially hydrogenated oils as you would avoid plutonium."

Hurray for Denmark for getting rid of this stuff!  Two of my triplets (both breastfed for over a year) developed asthma in there second year of life--after trying many things, adopting a whole foods, natural diet it what has helped us.  Getting all of the partially hydrogenated oils out of my pantry was very difficult as almost all of my boxed foods and commercial peanut butter had to go.  This is a bit off the subject, but it deserves our attention if trans fats are truly passed to breastmilk then we will want to start teaching families to avoid partially hydrogenated oils, a great idea for all of us.

Anne Nans, RN/IBCLC
Fredericksburg, VA

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2